lunes, 20 de junio de 2011

Beans and soccer

So, this past weekend, was spent doing a myriad of things, including "cleaning" beans for a soup on Saturday night and spending 3 hours watching El Salvador play Panama in the Copa de Oro soccer tournament. I felt very El Salvadoran to say the least. 

Bean cleaning doesn't really involve any real cleaning-- just going through 5 liters (a lot) of beans and picking out the ones that were no good. There are these little bugs called gorgojos that get into the beans and make holes in them, so you more or less inspect a group of them and make sure you weed out all the beans that have been visibly contaminated by gorgojos. The resulting soup on Sunday after church was incredibly delicious and enjoyed by a table crowded with family members eating very fast. El Salvadorans devour their food-- I asked for a smaller portion of soup and I still think I was the last person to finish eating...

 Sorting through the mountain of beans
Unwanted, overly wrinkly, gorgojo beans are on the left

The futbol game vs. Panama wasn't quite as successful as the sopa de frijoles. Sadly, El Salvador lost in a penalty kick shoot-out (I think that's what it's called, but I'm not a soccer buff so don't make fun) after a tied game of 1-1. At least the United States is still in the tournament...I told Dome that I was just a teency little bit happy that El Salvador lost, because if they would've won, they would've moved on to play the US! How am I supposed to choose between my home country and another that's starting to feel like home, huh?? She agreed. And told me that had El Salvador advanced, and I subsequently chosen to cheer for the wrong team, I would've had to sleep outside.

Now, I know that I need to take more pictures and upload them to my facebook and/or blog of all the little things that are different and stuff that I do during the day. I just forget to take pictures! And I don't want to look overly conspicuous. But yeah, I'll get on that.

Last thing-- I was talking to my brother Nate on Sunday and told him how I found a pretty decent sized El Salvadoran cockroach dead in the bathroom after I had seen it alive on the wall the night before (and left it there bc I was too scared/grossed out by it). And I started singing the song "La cucaracha, la cucaracha..." And his response was "What?!? Wait. That's what cockroach means in Spanish?? I didn't know that! Why did you tell me that?? Ugh. I can't ever sing that again." Needless to say, I laughed for about 5 minutes. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario